Jiangxi Shihutang Hydropower Project (hereinafter referred to as the Project) is located within Taihe County, Ji’an City, Jiangxi Province, P.R.China. It is a grid-connected hydropower project that is invested, constructed and operated by Jiangxi Gan River Shihutang Water Resource Multipurpose Development Co., Ltd.. The total installed capacity of the Project is 120 MW equipped with 6 sets of bulb tubular turbines with a unit capacity of 20 MW. The estimated electricity delivered to Central China Grid by the Project is 489,220 MWh per year with the average annual operating hours of 4,160 h. Electricity generated by the Project will be delivered to Central China Grid via the 220 kV Taihe Transformer Substation. Central China Grid is dominated by thermal power plants.
In the absence of the Project, equivalent amount of annual power output to the Project will be generated and supplied by Central China Grid which the Project is connected to. This is the same with the baseline scenario of the Project. It is expected that the Project as a hydropower source will generate emission reductions by avoiding CO2 emissions from the same amount of electricity generation from Central China Grid, which is mainly composed of traditional thermal power plants. It is expected that the Project will generate emission reductions of 2,273,414 tCO2e over the first 7-year crediting period from October 1, 2011 to September 30, 2018 in total. The Project will not only supply renewable electricity to the grid, but also contribute to sustainable development of the local community, the host country and the world by means of:
- reducing greenhouse gas emissions compared to a business-as-usual scenario;
- diversifying power sources and mitigating the demand and supply contradiction;
- promoting the economic development of the underdeveloped area and improving the livelihood of the local poor people;
- reducing the emission of other pollutants resulting from the power generation industry in China, compared to a business-as-usual scenario;
- creating 178 long-term employment opportunities for local community during the operation period of the Project and creating several employment opportunities for local community during the construction period of the Project.