Carbon Finance Home
Projects and Participants Home
About Us
Carbon Funds and Facilities
For Project Developers
Methodology
Projects
Capacity Building
News & Events
Document Library
Search
 
Site Tools
Carbon Finance Helpdesk
Glossary of Terms
Frequently Asked Questions
Related Links
My Page


Projects List      Print friendly


China: Tianjin Shuangkou Landfill Gas Recovery and Gas Utilization
(Spanish Carbon Fund)

UNFCCC Reference No.: 1406

Project Photo 1
The project site is Shuangkou landfill, located in Tianjin Municipality of China. Shuangkou landfill is located in the Shuangkou town, west of Beichen District. There are several villages in the vicinity of the landfill, among which Shuangkou village is the closest, located 1.2 km to the east, and Anguang village is 2km to the south. It was the first modern sanitary landfill in Tianjin, designed and constructed in accordance with national standards, including impermeable liners and leachate collection and treatment systems.

The Shuangkou landfill occupies an area of 60 hectares and is approximately 35 kilometres away from Tianjin downtown. It was designed with total waste disposal capability of 8.5 million cubic meters, or 7.39 million metric tons. The facility was constructed in 1999 and became opertional in April 2001 to receive an average of 800~1000 tons household waste per day. By the end of year 2006 more than 1.6 million tons of household waste has been landfilled. The waste mainly comes from four districts (Hongqiao, Hebei, Xiqing and Beichen) directly and two districts (Heping and Nankai) via Panlou transfer station.

Developed by the Tianjin Clean Energy and Environmental Engineering Co., Ltd, the main objectives of this project are to collect landfill gas (LFG), which primarily consists of methane (50%) and other gases (50%), such as carbon dioxide and additional gases including non-methane organic compounds and to generate electricity by installing LFG collection system, electricity generation system and flaring system on site. The project activity is applicable to ACM0001. The generators will combust the methane in the LFG to produce electricity for sale to the North China Power Grid. Excess LFG, as well as all gas collected during periods when electricity is not generated, will be flared. The state-of-the-art technology such as gas collection system, generating and flaring systems will be adopted by the project participant.

The project activities involve the reconstruction of the landfill and set-up of LFG recovery systems in its working cells, including such systems as LFG collection, pre-treatment, electricity generation and grid connection, flaring, monitoring and protection system, data recording and archiving.

As a result, this project will reduce greenhouse gas emissions generated from the landfill, including power generation offsets, by a total of approximately 1,558,228 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalents (tCO2e) during the 10-year crediting period, from 2008 to 2017. The project will also produce a total of 218,509 MWh electricity during this period of time, 95% of which will be sent to the grid while the remaining 5% will be used on-site ex ante. The projected depth of waste, after reaching the final contour, will be approximately 34 metres with 32 metres above grade and 2 metres below grade. Total design capacity is 8.5 million cubic metres. At an approximate density of 0.87 ton per cubic metre, about 7.39 million metric tons of waste can be landfilled.

In China, the technology to use the landfill gas to produce the electricity or heat is at its infancy. Those existing landfills with gas utilization system generally use foreign technology, especially the pretreatment equipment, gas generator, flares, etc. The proposed project will apply the state-of-the-art technology from overseas to make sure that the emission reductions from the project are real, measurable and qualified. Moreover, the generators and auxiliary facilities are planned to be installed in different stages based on the available LFG flow so that the most recent modern and suitable technology will be employed accordingly during the project crediting period.


© The World Bank Group, All Rights Reserved.     Legal Disclaimer